Thursday 18 March 2010

Six impossible things before breakfast

We went to see Alice in Wonderland at the weekend. I'd really been wanting to see it and when I mentioned it to my mother and twin they both replied with 'you used to really like Alice as a child.' I don't really remember that but I do know that I have two beautiful Alice books on my bookshelves at my parents'. I'm really glad that they remember what I have long since forgotten. Their memories then made sense as to why I so definately wanted to see Alice - a buried memory of childhood favourites? I presumed that I wouldn't have a quote from Alice but looking in my work quotation book I happened upon this from 'Through the Looking Glass and What Alice found there'.
'"When I use a word," said Humpty Dumpty "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither-more nor less."
"'The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty," which is to be master - that's all."
Lewis Carroll
I don't totally understand it but I don't think that really matters. I just like the thinking about whether we can change the meaning of words.
What I do understand is doing 'six impossible things before breakfast'. Now where shall we start?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.