Wednesday 10 March 2010

Being

...'I no longer want to be anything except what who I am. Who what am I? My answer: I am the sum total of everything that went before me, of all I have been seen done, of everything done-to-me. I am everyone everything whose being-in-the-world affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I've gone which would not have happened if I had not come. Nor am I particularly exceptional in this matter; each 'I', every one of the now-six-hundred-million-plus of us, contains a similar multitude. I repeat for the last time: to understand me, you'll have to swallow the world.'
Salman Rushdie Midnight's Children

Looking back through my books of quotations a recurring theme is this question of Who am I? How have I become who I am? and Who/How will I be in the future? How did the baby become the girl become the woman I am today? Where will I jouney next? What would life have looked like if I'd met someone earlier? If I had children? If I hadn't met Warmth? How do the journeys of my parents, grandparents shape the journey of my life? How will I shape The Blessings lives? I love the idea of me shaping life after I've gone - and not because I'm great but because I lived and connected with people. And I love that it's all exactly the same but completely different for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.