Monday 28 May 2012

The Uncommon Reader

We're all a little Jubilee fever over here, whether you like it or loathe it. I thought a passage from Alan Bennett's The Uncommon Reader would be appropriate.

"What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do." Alan Bennett The Uncommon Reader
reading

I don't think the Queen would read here - but this is where I would like to be reading today.

6 comments:

  1. I loathe the tat that seems to come hand in hand with anything like this (Queen face masks in Morrisons, I ask you) but fully agree with the last sentiment; there are not enough hours in the day to read!
    Oh, and that spot would be perfect for a few hours undisturbed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonia - Oh my goodness a Queen mask! Hope you find moments to read today.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if the Queen is a reader? The sofa looks inviting, nice & plump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac - I'd like to think she is & this story makes me hope it even more & with a smile on my face. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  3. That looks so inviting! Love the Staffordshire dogs which always look just right on a bookcase to me. The Uncommon Reader is a book that makes me chortle - so wish it was true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pen&Pencil - Oh yes wouldn't it be wonderful if it were true. I doubt she'll have much time to read this weekend though.

      Delete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.