Thursday 3 May 2012

Castles in the air part 1

Castles in the air

When you read these words what do they mean to you?
I have now read two books this year with references to 'castles in the air'. Half way through writing this post I saw a sign 'Look up to see the castle in the air'. I don't think I'd heard it before, and feel I've slightly missed out. Do you know where it originally comes from? Do you know of any other books that refer to this phrase? Am I being particularly dense and ill read/unknowlegeable in not knowing it? Was it a phrase of a particular era?

In My Brilliant Career written by a very young Australian and published in 1901.
'With aunt Helen, however, I was content anywhere, and build a castle in the air, wherein one day she and I were always to live together - for ever!' Miles Franklin My Brilliant Career

In Little Women (published 1868) there's a whole chapter titled 'Castles in the air'
"Wouldn't it be fun if all the castles in the air which we make could come true, and we could live in them?" Said Jo


Meg "I should like a lovely house, full of all sorts of luxurious things; nice food, pretty clothes, handsome furniture, pleasant people, and heaps of money, I am to be mistress of it, and manage it as I like, with plenty of servants, so I never need work a bit. How I should enjoy it! For I wouldn't be idle, but do good, and make every one love me dearly."
luxurious
Jo "I'd have a stable full of Arabian steeds, rooms piled with books, and I'd write out of a magic inkstand, so that my works should be as famous.... I want to do something splendid before I go into my castle, - something heroic or wonderful, - that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it, and mean to astonish you all, some day. I think I shall write books, and get rich and famous; that would suit me, so that is my favourite dream."
books
Beth "Mine is to stay at home safe with father and mother, and help take care of the family."
home


Amy "I have lots of wishes; but the pet one is to be an artist, and go to Rome, and do fine pictures, and be the best artist in the whole world,"


Roma




Can you answer my questions?
What would your castle in the air be?

10 comments:

  1. You might like the book 'Castles in the Air' by Judy Corbett - about a couple who buys and restores a castle in Wales. It's now run as a B&B and my husband and I spent a weekend there after I became so intrigued by the book. It's a wonderful spot!

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castles-Air-Judy-Corbett/dp/0091891787

    http://www.gwydircastle.co.uk/home.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen- Thank you for this link I shall explore. What a wonderful name for a B&B, or a blog name.

      Delete
  2. I love the quotes you included, especially from "My Brilliant Career." I guess that I've always thought that phrase meant creating something beautiful out of an ordinary moment, or daydreaming perhaps? Not quite sure, but I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a phrase that maybe has more of a sense than a definition & definitely an element of daydreaming to it.

      Delete
  3. I always think of it as that perfect dream life I hold in reserve. My 'happy place' of fantasy where everything in my world is beautiful and uncomplicated. I really like the phrase, though some use it to describe people who are impractical and unrealistic. Pshaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anbolyn - Oh yes 'perfect dream life' what a lovely phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Women immediately came to mind when I read the title of your post. The photographs you posted are so very lovely. I'm normally a rather simple girl, who prefers a cottage to a castle, but the one that accompanies 'luxury' is quite enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza - Glad the title promptedLittle Women in your mind and that it did have a mention to the book. Part two of this post has bits from Good Wives where they reflect on their Castles in the air thoughts.

      Delete
  6. I've always thought of 'castles in the air' as ideals, dreams, as 'if we won the lottery, what would we run away and do?' kind of thoughts. There's also a reference to it in the musical of Les Miserables as 'castle on a cloud'. On our wedding thank you cards we had this quote 'Do not worry if you have built castles in the air, (your work need not be lost;) that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.' (without the bracketed words) which is by Henry David Thoreau...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma - Oh yes I'd forgotten about Les Mis Castle on a cloud. I love the quote you used for your thank you cards.

      Delete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.