Tuesday 24 January 2012

A fairy, a sylph

"She was more than human to me. she was a fairy, a sylph. I don't know what she was - anything that no one ever saw, and everything that everybody ever wanted. I was swallowed up in an abyss of love in an instant. There was no pausing on the brink; no looking down, or looking back; I was gone, headlong, before I had sense to say a word to her.' Charles Dickens David Copperfield

fairy



Reading through all my Dickens quotes I realise how passionate he writes about love. Yet my love isn't a passionate, violent, headlong love. I definately am a person who pauses on the brink. Still his passages on love speak and stay with me.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading Great Expectations, my first Dickens read. I love the pathos, humour and humanity. Why did it take me this long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Dickens was a 'pausing on the brink' kind of person: from what I've read of his later affair (excellent biography by Clare Tomalin), he plummeted straight in without even gathering breath.
    Interestingly, I prefer to read about his life than read his fiction. Like Tolkein, the indulgence of words snarl me up. And occasionally make me snarl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilacs - Great Expectations was my first re read of Dickens as an adult and it had me hooked and thinking exactly the same thing!
    Tonia - I keep seeing the Clare Tomalin biography mentioned - maybe I should read it. I can't get on with Tolkien but as you know I do like Dickens. Has blogger started behaving itself for you?

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.