Monday 12 November 2012

Someone at a distance

Whilst reading Someone at a distance I thought what a wonderful television, BBC I feel, adaptation it would make. If they hurried I'm sure it could be ready for next Christmas. There would have to be a caveat of no changing the story line as a film company did with Miss Pettigrew lives for a day.  My mind started wandering who would I cast?

I think Kiera Knightly fresh from her Anna Karenina role would play Louise, Audrey Tatou though beautiful is too lovely for the part. Louise also reminded me of maybe modern day WAG and how we think characters only out for glamour and money are a modern occurrence. Louise shows that they have always, and will always exist.

'The light from the lamp shone downwards on her smooth dark head. Her arms were bare and slender on the desk, her dress, her favourite magenta red, fitted closely over waist and bosom and spread into wide skirts as she sat. ...there was no one to look at her. But it really didn't matter, because she looked at herself from time to time in the mirror on the wall. She always gave as much pleasure to her own eyes as to others. More, in fact, because she alone knew what perfect finish she had achieved.'


Kiera

I fear that Colin Firth is perhaps too old to play Avery,
'Nevertheless, at forty-three, he was beginning to put on weight. So far it only added to his good looks. He was tall and it suited him to be slightly heavy in build.'

I'm still undecided on Ellen, Hugh and Anne. Though in my mind Anne would be dressed in Orla Kiely clothes, with blonde hair and a fringe.
'She was such a persuasive teasing sort of child. Very lovable.' 
Orla Kiely


I'm pondering Dames Maggie Smith and Judi Dench as a wonderful double act of Miss Beasley and Mrs Pretty the cleaners (would make a change for Maggie Smith from being The Dowager), or would one of them be better as Old Mrs North and the other as Mrs Brockington?

There will then be a raft of wonderful small parts for all our great character actors and actresses. John Bennett, Miss Beldon the head teacher, stroppy Mrs Beard at Somerton, Miss Daley, Papa and Mama, Paul Devoisy.

Who would you cast in your adaptation of Someone at a distance?

9 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, a television adaptation... that would be wonderful! I'd forgive Colin Firth a few extra years ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet read Someone at a Distance, but will have to keep in mind who I'd like to see in the adaptation when I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, something to think about while ironing a pair of trousers before nipping off to work. Oh that Louise...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I would love to see this made for TV. It would be perfect winter viewing.

    I can't think of anyone at the moment...am going to come back later with some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - Yes perfect for winter viewing. Happy thinking of characters.

      Delete
  5. No, no, no Keira Knightley! Although her devouring jaw would gobble Avery up.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.