Thursday 22 November 2012

adorned a belle

We're still enjoying arranging and decorating our home. Warmth's latest find from Ebay is a wonderful bureau. It holds books, but open it up and there is space for stationery and to write letters.

'Amy's chief delight was an Indian cabinet full of queer drawers, little pigeon-holes, and secret places in which were kept all sorts of ornaments, some precious, some merely curious, all more or less antique. To examine and arrange these things gave Amy great satisfaction, especially the jewel cases; in which, on velvet cushions, reposed the ornaments which had adorned a belle forty years ago.' Louisa May Alcott Little Women

ornaments
I can't imagine Aunt March having any furniture like this, but I can imagine Amy admiring and desiring an such a piece.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, I do love bureaus. My parent's have a wonderful one, complete with secret drawer: it was always a sneaky treat to open the little compartments and peek inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonia - I feel liking starting a tradition for The Blessings of hiding desirable little things in the drawers to be discovered...

      Delete
  2. You will love your new bureau. Many year's ago I searched for an old-fashioned secretary and finally found one in an antique store in Carmel, California. It was so much fun to decorate the shelves with special little objects. I love looking at them, as well as writing on the desk part. What a perfect quote from Little Women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday - yes sitting down at it to write on air mail paper to a friend in America was lovely.

      Delete
  3. I love such a piece! I want that in my bedroom now! :)

    I'm rereading Little Women for December; feel free to join in if you wish. Such a good book, so many lessons to strengthen us besides story to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza - I'd love to join in but I only re read it last Christmas so I'll pass on it. I did so enjoy the re read and look forward to re reading it again - it's the perfect winter book.

      Delete
  4. That room has Amy's name all over it.

    It's such fun decorating a new home - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - Thank you. Now we're onto the front room.

      Delete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.