Thursday 15 July 2010

Birdsong

'No child or future generation will ever know what this was like. They will never understand. When it is over we will go quietly among the living and we will not tell them. We will talk and sleep and go about our business like human beings. We will seal what we have seen in the silence of our hearts and no words will reach us.' Sebastian Faulks Birdsong


@
It doesn't seem quite right to be celebrating all the great literature about France without mentioning the wars. This passage spoke to me years ago when I read Birdsong. It speaks even more having been to Ypres on a freezing November weekend.

2 comments:

  1. hello, warm greeting ^^!
    would you mind to give comment on my blog?

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birdsong is one of my favourites, and that passage always reminds me of my grandad - he really did seal everything inside himself.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.