Wednesday 7 December 2011

Delight in human relationships

'But her heart was so generous, her range of acquaintance so wide and her delight in human relationships so unstaled, that she could have spent a national income without difficulty. As it was, she was put to desperate straits to accommodate her lavish tastes to her narrow fortune.' Winifred Holtby South Riding

If you want to be stirred up for Christmas do go and read the whole of this passage. it's Book v11 Chapter 1 Mrs. Beddows Receives a Christmas Present.

A few instagram images from Liberty's and Fortnum & Mason's Christmas windows. I should think Mrs Beddows would have loved to do her Christmas shopping at these two shops.

4 comments:

  1. Describing the pre-christmas present dilemma beautifully. Oh to have a national income to spend on those I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of South Riding on my 2012 shelf, but I think I will pull it off to read this passage. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful displays! I love how things just transform during the Christmas period. I read South Riding at the beginning of the year and loved it. Mrs Beddows was my favourite character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonia Absolutely agree with you & Mrs Beddows.
    Gudrun Oh yes do re read to get into the festive spirit.
    A Bookish Space Yes I think she might be my favourite character as well, especially as I'm sure there's a line early on in the book that refers to her slender ankles.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.