Thursday 24 June 2010

Midsummer's Day

For some reason I thought the longest day of the year was the 24th June - do not ask me why so I'd scheduled this post for today. Then on the 21st June I realised.... Oh dear it's too late to change it all around - so here it is a few days late - but it still stays light late.
@

In winter I get up by night
And dress by yellow candle-light
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping in the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?


Robert Louis Stevenson

My mother loves poetry and so as children we would be read it. Due to an early wake up, and my love of sleep, I go to bed early. This poem often comes to mind as I draw the blinds. Epecially since living in a city where one 'hears the grown-up people's feet/Still going past me in the street.'
@
Happy 'Belated' Midsummer's Night

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely poem, and so true. First time I've read it and it's really captured me - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.