Tuesday 8 June 2010

A Man and A Woman


A man and a woman sit near each other, and they do not long
At this moment to be older, or younger or born
In any other nation, or any other time, or any other place.
They are content to be where they are, talking or not talking.
Their breaths together feed someone who we do not know.
The man sees the way his fingers move;
He sees her hands close around a book she hands to him.
They obey a third body that they share in common.
They have promised to love that body.
Age may come; parting may come; death will come!
A man and a woman sit near each other;
As they breathe they feed someone we do not know,
Someone we know of, whom we have never seen.

Robert Bly

@, @

2 comments:

  1. That's very sweet. I wanted to have The Owl & the Pussycat by Edward Lear at my wedding. And another one, by someone I forget... I'll dig it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They are content to be where they are, talking or not talking." I love that part. It pretty much sums up for me what it means to be happy with someone.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.