Wednesday 14 March 2012

Old-fashioned, fragrant flowers

Now to America and as it's the month of March it had to be from the March family.

'As spring came on, a new set of amusements became the fashion, and the lengthening days gave long afternoons for work and play of all sorts. The garden had to be put in order, and each sister had a quarter of the little plot to do what she liked with... Meg had roses and heliotrope, myrtle, and a little orange-tree in it. Jo's bed was never alike two seasons, for she was always trying experiments; this year it was to be a plantation of sunflowers... Beth had old-fashioned, fragrant flowers in her garden; sweet peas and mignonette, larkspur, pinks, pansies... Amy had a bower in hers... very pretty to look at, - with honeysuckles and morning-glories hanging their coloured horns and graceful wreaths all over it; tall white lilies, delicate ferns, and as many brilliant, picturesque plants as would consent to blossom there." L.M Alcott Little Women
garden


Which sister's garden would yours be most like?
 Mine would, or will hopefully have Jo's experiments, Meg's roses, Beth's sweet-peas and Amy's honeysuckle.

8 comments:

  1. I think I'd have to pick Beth's old-fashioned flowers - I think they'd be hardy enough to survive my caring neglect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonia - ha! I'm glad to see sweet pea's are hardy as I shall be attempting to grow my own this summer - for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post - I would take a bit from each garden. I love old country cottage gardens.

    I see you are reading the language of flowers - is it any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloomsbury Bell - Welcome back to blogging. Yes old country cottage gardens seem so magical. Hmmmm The Language of Flowers. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped. It is really interesting reading about the meaning behind different flowers but story wise a slightly emotional beach read would be my thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I'd have to go for Beth's garden, as sweet peas are one of my favourites and my grandma used to grow other adorable little old fashioned flowers like that. I would also include roses though, since what's a garden without those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes what is a garden without roses. Pleasantly surprised to see shoots on mine & hoping for delightful roses this summer.

      Delete
  5. I love sweetpeas but realisitcally, mine would be like Jo's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So long as there are flowers that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.