Monday 18 June 2012

Yellow Cocktail Music

I'll not be blogging this week as I'm preparing for birthday celebration party at the weekend. A Jay Gatsby party to get me in the mood.

"There was music from my neighbour's house through the summer nights. In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars...



fizz 
... enough coloured lights to make a Christmas tree of Gatsby's enormous garden. On buffet tables, garnished with glistening hors-d'oeuvre, spiced baked hams crowded against salads of harlequin designs and pastry pigs and turkeys bewitched to a dark gold. In the main hall a bar with a real brass rail was set up, and stocked with gins and liquors and with cordials so long forgotten that most of his female guests were too young to know one from another.
lights




... already the halls and salons and verandas are gaudy with primary colours, 


...the bar is in full swing, and floating rounds of cocktails permeate the garden outside, until the air is alive with chatter and laughter...
chatter


The lights grow brighter as the earth lurches away from the sun, and now the orchestra is playing yellow cocktail music...


Laughter is easier minute by minute, spilled with prodigality, tipped out at a cheerful word.


....The party has begun." F.Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby

10 comments:

  1. Love that quote! Have a great party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday - Thank you. Currently hoping Tge rain stays away.

      Delete
  2. Well who wouldn't want a Gatsby-style party? Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonia - Yes to the glamour & fizz of a Gatsby party, but unlike Gatsby I'm looking forward to it being just my friends there, no strangers.

      Delete
  3. The descriptions of Gatsby's parties take me there everytime, I can feel the slight breeze giving me goose bumps, and the mysterious green light shining over the bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac in May - yes the descriptions are so wonderful I had a abridge this as it was so long.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing quote - and a great idea for a party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anbolyn - I think it would have been a visually amazing party too.

      Delete
  5. I love synaesthesia. And Fitzgerald. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - Just had to go & look that word up! So Thank you for teaching me a new word.

      Delete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.