Friday 10 February 2012

True Love

Wislawa Szymborska. Somewhere I read this poem. I loved it so much I searched for my own copy. When I read about the death of Polish Nobel Laureaute, Wislawa Szymborska I knew who she was, felt sad and reached for my book of her poems.

True Love
True Love. Is it normal,
is it serious, is it practical?
What does the world get from two people
who exist in the world of their own?
true love

..........

Look at the happy couple.
Couldn't they at least try to hide it,
fake a little depression for their friends' sake?
Listen to them laughing - it's an insult.
The language they use - deceptively clear.
And their little celebrations, rituals,
the elaborate mutual routines-
it's obviously a plot behind the human race's back!
............

True love. Is it really necessary?
Tact and common sense tell us to pass over it in silence,
like a scandal in Life's highest circles.
Perfectly good children are born without its help.
It couldn't populate the planet in a million years,
it comes along so rarely.
...............

Wislawsa Szymborska

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful - when was anything that good ever practical?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these. I was not aware of this poet. What beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verity - Glad you like it.
    Tonia - Yes good point.
    Sunday Taylor - Somehow she should be more well known. Pleased you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.