Monday 20 September 2010

Not Waving

It didn't quite get as bad as this poem, but moving home and areas and changing jobs - all on the same day was a little mind and emotion boggling at times. Thank goodness for Warmth. There were moments when I thought of this poem.

Not waving but drowning
Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
.....
Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

Stevie Smith

A photograph from Halong Bay, Vietnam. The mist, the islands seem to sum up the poem too. How do we know where to look for someone when it's so misty out there?

5 comments:

  1. I hope everything has quietened down now and you're able to catch some breath! Always loved this poem: an excellent choice for when the world is getting on top of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sum it up perfectly by posting that poem - I moved house, counties and jobs this year and I still feel a little unsettled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suddenly realise quite the place I'm in - I forgot to find a picture to add to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear from you again - hope things are getting a little more settled, and that you really are 'not drowning but WAVING'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartbreaking, but lovely, poem. I do hope you are back to waving again!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.