Wednesday 24 February 2010

Joan Hunter Dunn

A very long poem - so it's the first and last verse only and a few favourite lines inbetween. It reminds me of summer - oh hurry up summer pleeeeese.

John Betjeman A Subaltern's Love Song

Miss J. Hunter Dunn, Miss J. Hunter Dunn,
Furnish'd and burnish'd by Aldershot sun,
What strenuous singles we played after tea,
We in the tournament - you against me!

To the six-o'clock news and a lime-juice and gin.

On the floor of her bedroom lie blazer and shorts,

Miss Joan Hunter Dunn, Miss Joan Hunter Dunn,
I can hear from the car park the dance has begun,

And here on my right is the girl of my choice,
With the tilt of her nose and the chime of her voice.

And the scent of her wrap, and the words never said,
And the ominous, ominous dancing ahead.
We sat in the car park till twenty to one
And now I'm engaged to Miss Joan Hunter Dunn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.