Thursday 16 December 2010

A ring glimmers on your hand

No I'll not take the half...
No, I'll not take the half of anything!
Give me the whole sky! The far-flung earth!
Seas and rivers and mountain avalanches -
All these are mine! I'll accept no less!
No, life, you cannot woo me with a part.
Let it be all or nothing! I can shoulder that!
I don't want happiness by halves.
Nor is half of sorrow what I want.
Yet there's a pillow I would dhare,
Where gently pressed against a cheek,
Like a helpless star, a falling star,
A ring glimmers on your hand.
Yevgeny Yevtushenko
Oh to have had abundant candles and fairy lights....
(Alas being a 14th cemtury tithe barn there were no candles allowed anywhere vaguely in the vicinity.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, its the season of candles and fairy lights now, so you can make up for it big-style! And on a day like today when it has never actually got light outside, the more fairy lights the better!

    ReplyDelete

Ooh how lovely more stripes on the page...
Thank you for taking the time.